What is the biggest challenge you face when dieting?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Some Sugar Isn't Nice!

Like many others, my addiction to sugar and caffeine was obvious. I actually became proud of my love for all things sweet. What was I actually proud of as I proclaimed my obsession for substances that do not benefit my health. I became so dependent on these substances that I could not function without them. I encourage you to read a little about me. I've been overweight, unhappy and longed for change. I want to share my experiences to help you. This post will also give you some information about sugar, caffeine and how these substances affect your life and your body.

While struggling with Epstein-Barr virus and the great range of symptoms it carried such as gross fatigue, aching pains, depression and a depressed immune system. I had surgeries in college to remove infected tonsils, adenoids and teeth. On and off I cut carbonated beverages and replaced them with caffeine pills. This would greatly decrease my appetite, make me lose weight, and give me energy. It would also make me emotionally unstable, anxious and overly excitable. The weight I had lost was not just fat. My muscles and organs suffered the loss of essential vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Although I ate, my caloric intake was low and comprised of useless calories. I looked sick and anorexic because I was. I can say that without shame now because I know that I am on the right track keeping myself healthy today. At the time I didn't realize what I was doing to myself. Only after changing my lifestyle and taking responsibility for my actions have I been able to look at my past with a nonjudgmental mind so I can make better decisions today. Take steps that you are comfortable with as you try to better yourself.


It was not always this easy for me to admit my problems. I thought I had everyone fooled. After all, I had myself fooled! Lying to myself and living in denial only hurt me and the ones I love. My health deteriorated and I was on death's door. My spleen became enlarged and left me unemployed and unable to function. I went from an athletic ball of joy to a broken shell of the woman I was. I felt depressed, needy, anxious, angry, worthless, suicidal and mean. While exciting my nervous system, sugar and caffeine also encouraged bacterial growth and helped me starve my body. A couple weeks into January 2012, I decided to change everything. In just 3 weeks, I was able to resume Zumba which is a group dance class that lasts an hour. I've continued attending class weekly. I started yoga which bulked up my muscle and immunity. My diet has turned me into the woman I have been meant to be. I am driven, confident, and happy.

Let's turn the attention back to you. Flip over a candy bar or carbonated beverage. Check the first few ingredients. My educated guess is that you are reading sugar, corn syrup, corn starch, dextrin and other sugar substitutes. Toward the end of the list there will be a host of artificial colors and flavors.

What do these ingredients do to you? After consumption, expect happiness and an energy rush, possible anxiety followed by a crash and depressed or low feeling. If you eat and don't burn off this energy, expect a future fat deposit as well. Sugar is a carbohydrate. Simple sugars are NOT the only carbohydrate. Complex sugars and fiber can be found in whole grain breads, oatmeal, brown rice, fruits and vegetables.

Some measurements of carbohydrates' effects on the body are glycemic index and load. Glycemic index is basically how fast the carbohydrate is broken down in the stomach and moved to your blood stream. Glycemic load tells how much glucose, or sugar, is in a substance. Insulin resistance is a problem that means the body is unable to properly regulate and use insulin. Genetics, stress, and excessive carbohydrate intake all play a role in contributing to insulin resistance. This leads to diabetes which is changing lives for the worst when people to do not take responsibility and decide to make a change. Learning these terms and how to apply them to your food choices is important for you and your family. Most all of us are making uninformed decisions resulting in 30% of our nation being obese. If your child is struggling with hyperactivity, START with their diet. Decreasing sugar and caffeine intake will give you your angel back.

Suddenly stopping sugar and caffeine consumption can lead to withdrawal. These substances are addictive for the body. Symptoms can be fatigue, drowsiness, depression, headaches, and skin aggravation. Supplement with healthy carbohydrates to maintain energy. I encourage you to talk to your doctor or a dietitian about ways to change your diet safely. If your primary doctor fails to see the importance of the relation between diet and your health, I encourage you to find someone who will help solve your issues naturally with healthy changes instead of another processed substance that will change you even more. It is often true that less is more.

Learning exactly how the body uses the fuel you give it can help you make more responsible choices. Food can be rewarding, tasty, fun and a source of a good time. First and foremost, food is fuel and the building blocks for your body. Take a closer look at what you are putting in your mouth, chewing on and consuming. Are you building a fragile house on unsteady foundation? What can you do to help yourself? Talk to anyone who makes you feel comfortable enough to seriously open up. If you don't have anyone like that, talk to me. Below is a link with information about healthy carbohydrates.

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/Carbohydrate_Foods_List_with_Healthy_Carbohydrates.shtml


No comments: